Wednesday, March 14, 2012

March Madness (Part 1)!!

IT'S MARCH MADNESS TIME, BABY!!!

Yeah, I'm not usually that excited about basketball. But THIS year, my daughter's 7th/8th grade team made it to March by being selected to participate in the State tournament!! It was AWESOME!!! So as promised, here is the first project I'd like to share from it.

Of course I made stuff for the girls, but this was the ultimate time for us MOMS to show off our daughters! So, I made each of the moms a pin to wear!!

Here they are:
The moms of all 10 players got a pin!

Here are the 8th grader pins
complete with name, number, and photo!

And here are the 7th grader pins!
I have quite a fondness for # 35 . . . :)

A little side close-up view of them! Rosettes are all the rage
now, so I thought they would be perfect for the mom pins!

Supplies:
  • Cricut Imagine Bubblegum Stripes cartridge to print paper for Rosettes
  • Cricut Art Philosophy cartridge for the white scallop backing the photos
  • Cricut Sports Mania cartridge for mini basketballs
  • Cricut Birthday Bash cartridge for letters and numbers
  • Photos of each girl then punched out with a 1 1/2 inch circle punch
  • Textured basketball paper for mini basketballs (purchased at JoAnn by the sheet)
  • Recollections Black cardstock for basketball shadow
  • Recollections blue paper to mat a couple of the girls that had white backgrounds
  • White Georgia-Pacific cardstock for scallops
  • Blue Darice self-stick holographic paper for letters and numbers (purchased at JoAnn by the sheet)
  • White satin ribbon
  • Blue glitter ribbon purchased from Michael's
  • Hot glue gun and glue sticks to adhere the rosette
  • Glue dots for basketball
  • Foam dots for behind the photos for added dimension
  • Adhesive-backed pins purchased from Michael's Jewelry section
Don't they remind you of blue ribbons you would win at the fair? They did for me, but I didn't see a way around it given that the school colors are blue and white. I got rave reviews from the moms and many others, so that made me happy.
 
I did learn a lot from making these pins. It's quite different to make a paper craft that will be worn for a few days at a time. By day 2, I packed an "emergency repair kit" that included glue dots, scissors, extra pins, extra letters and numbers. Unfortunately moms were starting to lose letters or numbers, the white satin ribbon was fraying on the sides, a pin's clasp broke, etc.- Yikes!! Repairing kept me busy while waiting for our pizza after game 3's win. It takes a while when a whole team with parents and siblings order yummy deep dish!
 
One last thing: I decorated my frame in my office for the big State event, which also holds my pin for now:
 
 
I put chalkboard vinyl from Expressions Vinyl on the frame's backing and used a white Pentel Wet Erase chalk marker to write. The die cut eagle was on the wall at our school's bball tournament back in January, which I took several of when we cleaned up! I couldn't let all of those eagles just go in the trash! The younger grades had decorated them so beautifully after all! :)
 
I will be back with another State project soon. I also have a very big Scrappy Moms weekend coming up- WOOHOO!! Have a great remainder to your week!!

0 happy comments:

Post a Comment

Leaving comments for me makes me happy! Thanks for sharing some bloggy love! :) ~Jen