Thursday, March 29, 2012

"March Madness" Part II - The Scrapbooks!

Thought I'd better get my March madness posts in before it's not March anymore! Yikes, time is flying by!

Now don't fall over, but here is a scrapbooking related post! I do scrapbooking, but usually it is for other people. Here is an example of me scrapbooking for other people!

I made scrapbooks for all 10 girls on my oldest daughter's basketball team. What I mean by making them is that I literally assembled them using my untouched YourStory binding machine. I got the binding machine using my Cricut rewards points some time ago. It worked out well.

Originally I was going to have the 7th graders make the 8th grader books in addition to their own at the scrapbooking party I hosted, but the girls were having too much fun with their own books so time ran away. I made the 8th grader books and the 7th graders presented them to the girls at their special luncheon that was held at school the day before the State tournament.

Here they are (excuse the girly bedspread background!):







 The 7th grade scrapbooking party!

Supplies:
  • YourStory binding machine
  • YourStory 11x8.5 white "linen-like" book covers ($5 each from cricutmachine.com)
  • Cricut Birthday Bash cartridge for letters
  • Cricut Sports Mania for basketballs
  • Georgia-Pacific white cardstock from Wal-mart for pages
  • Blue glitter cardstock from Michaels' sold by the sheet
  • Basketball material sheets sold by the sheet at either JoAnn or Michael's
  • Recollections black cardstock for basketball shadows
  • Gold and blue gems from Michael's dollar section
Using the same materials, I made all of the covers a little bit different. I placed photos inside the pages, but did nothing else so that the girls could personalize them starting the weekend of the big State tournament. I gave them each blue sparkle pens so that they could journal and sign each other's books. The 8th graders wrote "advice" for handling the coach the next basketball season - LOL!

I did have issues with pages from a couple of the books coming out, so I added some more hot glue to the inside spine and rebound them. I think the books are holding up okay. If not, people know where to find me and my binding machine! I think I might have had too many pages in them (15 total), and the weight of the paper (110 lb) has a lot to do with it. Trial and error!
 
All in all, these books were a huge hit! I even made books for the coaches and gave them at the Winter Sports Banquet the week after State. This was definitely an awesome bball season worthy of celebrating and documenting!
 
Thanks for stopping by! Happy crafting!

1 happy comments:

bonnie said...

Looks like fun was had by all...super cute! ;) Hugs x

Post a Comment

Leaving comments for me makes me happy! Thanks for sharing some bloggy love! :) ~Jen